Search This Blog

Sunday, May 25, 2008

A great one passes

Since I never travel with my laptop and pretty much stay away from Internet cafes--vacation means "getting away from"--I had to find out about Dr. Jimmy Slyde's passing the old-fashioned way, from radio. The minute I twirled the dial and discovered Flagstaff's local NPR station, I heard the announcement. That was a strange feeling--to be away from New York City where I know the news hit hard and touched off much discussion. Rashida Bumbray's May 23 launching of Hoofers' House at The Kitchen (in partnership with The Studio Museum in Harlem) was dedicated to the memory of Dr. Slyde, and his performing was powerfully invoked by video artist Rashaad Newsome. The dance goes on.

In any case, if you haven't read it already, here's Claudia La Rocco's Times obit and a 2001 photo of Dr. Slyde by the great Jack Vartoogian.

Copyright notice

Copyright © 2007-2023 Eva Yaa Asantewaa
All Rights Reserved

Popular Posts

Labels