Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Odetta, American singer, dead at 77

Odetta, Voice of Civil Rights Movement, Dies at 77
by Tim Weiner, The New York Times, December 2, 2008

The Last Word: Odetta

I have a personal memory of Odetta that I hold dear: She called on air one day when I was hosting a show on WBAI (Pacifica Radio) and thanked me and said how much she enjoyed hearing me. I was stunned and barely able to speak! 77 is way too young to leave this earth. I am saddened that the world has lost this great voice of beauty, justice and healing. But I am tickled, once again, by the memory of her personal act of kindness to my younger, shyer self. May her homegoing be joyful and as beautiful as she was in life.

No comments:

Copyright notice

Copyright © 2007-2023 Eva Yaa Asantewaa
All Rights Reserved

Popular Posts

Labels