Search This Blog

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Dance critic Tobi Tobias receives honor

While I was away on vacation this month, dance critic Tobi Tobias--my dear colleague and former review editor from my early days at Dance Magazine, who now blogs on dance for ArtsJournal.com--sent word that she had been named a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize in Criticism!

My congratulations to the Pulitzer winner, Wesley Morris, film critic at The Boston Globe, but I'm going to continue to borrow a little of Tobi's glow to bask in for the arts of dance and dance writing! Note the historic nature of this honor: "...the first time a dance critic has been given the Pulitzer distinction for work created for the Internet...."

We're on the move!

Here's Tobi's note:
Dear Readers,
I want to share with you the honor and pleasure I feel in having been named a finalist in this year's Pulitzer Prize for criticism.  The citation reads: “For work appearing on ArtsJournal.com that reveals passion as well as deep historical knowledge of dance, her well-expressed arguments coming from the heart as well as the head.”
This year's winner is Wesley Morris of The Boston Globe for film criticism; the other finalist is Philip Kennicott of The Washington Post for cultural criticism. 
I'm especially pleased about the fact that this is the first time a dance critic has been given the Pulitzer distinction for work created for the Internet--in my case, reviews written for my column, "Seeing Things," which appears in ArtsJournal.
Readers are an essential part of a writer's life.  I thank you--friends, colleagues, and hundreds of people I've never met--for your contribution to my work.
tt
Hearty congratulations, Tobi!

No comments:

Copyright notice

Copyright © 2007-2023 Eva Yaa Asantewaa
All Rights Reserved

Popular Posts

Labels