Search This Blog

Friday, March 7, 2008

Appeal from choreographer Makeda Thomas

New York/Trinidad-based dance artist Makeda Thomas sends the following appeal:

Hello Everyone,

Many of you know that since 2004 I have made dances for the National Company of Mozambique. In December 2007, Augusto Cuvilas, my colleague at CNCD and one of Mozambique's most highly regarded dance artists was "mistakenly" killed in his home by police. I received a call last month from his wife, Chimene Costa. She is, in the midst of doing press conferences and filing reports, working to keep Augusto's work alive. She has invited me and South African choreographer Boyzie Cekwana to develop the project they were working on during his untimely death. This project is titled "Fin" (The End).......

I want to respond to this call for artists. I have never received a more profound call to make my art. And it is my prayer that you can help me get to Mozambique.
We've started a collection on
Fundable to raise $1,700. Fundable requires a community effort - we must raise all the funds in 25 days. Please view our Fundable (click here). Your donation of $10 or more will pay for international travel expenses. A special project DVD is our gift to you for donating.

With many, many thanks for your help.......

Makeda Thomas
Artistic Director
Makeda Thomas/Roots & Wings Movement
info@makedathomas.org
Website
Blog

Copyright notice

Copyright © 2007-2023 Eva Yaa Asantewaa
All Rights Reserved

Popular Posts

Labels