Search This Blog

Friday, June 22, 2007

A Remembrance of Serena from Jemela Omar

[Editor's Note: Yesterday, I received this lovely message from Jemela Omar who, with Serena Wilson, was part of a brilliant and influential generation of Middle Eastern dance professionals here in New York City, and I requested permission to post it here for you. BTW, I've also been asked for information about a memorial service for Serena.  When I have that information, I will post an announcement here.]


Hi! My name is Jemela Omar. Anahid [Sofian] very graciously sent me your article on Serena, which I would LOVE to have downloaded, to send to some of her friends, that are not living in the USA currently.

Serena was my peer. I started in the EG. or Egyptian Gardens, a little earlier then she did. As she came to my office a week ago, to bring me a copy of her latest publication, looking better then she had 10 years ago, I marveled at her appearance. I can't imagine that there was ANY indication of the time bomb that was waiting in the wings.

We had a lot of laughs at the EG, she and I, because we were both the only Americans working there at the time.

She will be dearly missed. In a performance that she gave recently, she got a standing ovation from the entire audience of other dancers! I was SO glad to be amongst them, applauding loudly for my friend.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts,

Respectfully,
Jemela Omar

No comments:

Copyright notice

Copyright © 2007-2023 Eva Yaa Asantewaa
All Rights Reserved

Popular Posts

Labels