Search This Blog

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Publicist, spare that tree!

I'm surprised that, in this day and age, dance publicists are still cheerfully handing me press kits--or snailmailing me press releases, for that matter. Don't you guys know that there's this newfangled thing called the Internet? (George W. Bush pluralized it, I guess, because it must have seemed so overwhelmingly threatening to him, as well it was and should be.) And when I use this Internet thingee, which I do every goshdarn day, I can readily access all manner of text, photos, audio, videos, the whole megillah. It's quite neat.

So, why not use the Internet to simply email me a URL where I can immediately go to view or download all the information about your clients and access whatever supporting resources I'll need to do my work?

Instead, when I go to your shows, I'm handed these big folders--filled with sheets of paper and sometimes photos and DVDs--that a) don't fit in the smaller handbag I now carry; b) mark me immediately to everyone in the theater as "one of those" (ick!); c) threaten to suddenly empty their contents into theater aisles or onto subway tracks; and finally, d) fail to include some significant bits of data or media resources.

So, just stop it. Stop it right now. Save a tree or two or two thousand. Get with the 21st Century and use the Internet!

No comments:

Copyright notice

Copyright © 2007-2023 Eva Yaa Asantewaa
All Rights Reserved

Popular Posts

Labels